If you are a member of any sewing group on Facebook then I am sure you have heard about pdf plotting. It’s a website that you can upload your A0 or shop copy patterns too and get them printed out. They are printed on large sheets of paper and then are shipped to you so no assembly required from you, no taping or putting anything together! As soon as they arrive they are ready to use. I’ve been waffling on if I wanted to do this or not. I am not the best at computer stuff and I thought for sure that I was going to mess it up. They have directions on the website making it pretty simple to use. I decided that I was just going to print off all the patterns that I had A0 copies of that way I wouldn’t have to worry about printing off a pattern at home and piecing it together before I could use it. I printed out all of the Cashmerette Patterns and I can’t wait to use them, so excited! Now the only problem I did run into is I was under the assumption that all the shop patterns were just going to be one page. This is not always the case! Check each pattern you upload to see how many pages it is. I didn’t do that but luckily the people at PDF Plotting sent me an email and told me what I did wrong and asked me to correct it before they even started printing. I sent them the price difference and they started printing my patterns right way. So even if you think there is a good chance you might screw it up I would still give this company a go. They seem to check things before starting the printing process and make sure it’s correct before starting. I will definitely be using this company again to print out my next batch of Indie bought patterns.
Now I need to figure out how to store these patterns so they don’t get ruined.
I finished this up a while ago but getting a decent finished picture proved to be difficult. I asked my husband to take some pictures and they all looked terrible, then my seven years old asked to take the pictures and none of those worked either. I decided to take some of myself and they all looked strange and I gave up. I really need to invest in a full-length mirror. That would make taking pictures of finished makes so much easier.
The 146-1 Nathalie is a free pattern from Drops Designs. I thought it was a fairly easy, straightforward pattern. I haven’t knit a lot of adult garments and I didn’t think the instructions were confusing or hard. (There is a ton and ton of seaming.)I know a lot of people hate Drops patterns but I think you just need to take the time and read through it first and make notes in spots you find confusing.
I put off the seaming of the arms because I find it really tedious but it was all worth the extra work. I really love how it turned out. It is a little tight in my arms but nothing too extreme. I made the XXL size and it fits everywhere but the arms. I know I probably said all of this in my last post about my in-progress Nathalie but I really don’t think anyone should be scared to attempt a Drops Design pattern. They have so many pretty designs and they are all free! It took me one month and a day to finish this up. Working with worsted weight yarn makes a project just fly by. It was also nice to get 17 skeins of yarn out of the stash.
Next time I take a picture I need to remember to clean the kid’s bathroom mirror first.
I love making things for people, especially when I know that the things I make are appreciated and loved dearly. There are few people that I will willingly make things for, I’ve got to really love ya haha. One person, I do love making things for is my dear cousin who has thoroughly enjoyed and loved everything I’ve made her so far. I decided for her birthday I wanted to sew her a couple more things. With the excuse of it being a birthday present I bought enough fabric to make her two projects, firstly a Twirly Girl Skirt for Women and the Agnes both from Halla Patterns. I believe you can get both of these patterns for free if you join the Halla Pattern group on Facebook.
For the Twirly Girl Skirt, I bought some double brushed poly from Sly Fox Fabrics in the color: Saucy. Sadly they are currently out of this fabric which breaks my heart. I didn’t realize how much I loved it until I seen it in person and now I wish I would have bought some for myself. I keep stalking the site hoping they will restock it. This picture does not do the fabric justice at all, it’s so vibrant and lovely in person.
I was able to get her measurement while I was back in Michigan but also learned that she was expecting. So I knew I needed to pick something that would work for her now and with her expanding belly so that is why I went with the double brushed poly for the fabric. It has amazing stretch and it’s so soft like wearing your most comfortable pair of pajamas all day. With the pattern I chose the longer waistband option for the Twirly Skirt, hoping that it would give her comfort and a little support as her belly grows.
It was a super quick cut out and sew with only a couple of pieces to sew together. I think sewing them hem on the skirt took the longest out of the whole process. It is definitely something you can easily sew in a day with a few spare hours.
I used this as basically my practice muslin. I had her measurements but because she wasn’t with me I wasn’t 100% sure it would fit. Since both patterns were Halla Patterns I decided to cut and sew her size and send this one first to make sure it fit and that it wasn’t too big or anything. It’s so hard to judge by just looking at the finished garment.
It ended up fitting her perfectly! Maybe a hair too long since I was going for knee length but the fit was perfect! So now I am working on her Agnes we decided to do knee length dress with short sleeves. She picked the fabric for both projects so I know she’ll love it when it’s done. Fingers crossed the Agnes fits as good as the Twirly Skirt does.