On the needles.

I was bogged down with sample knits recently. I had four right in a row and it seemed like every spare minute of knitting I had was all toward sample knits. Now that I have a couple of free minutes of knitting for myself I started a cardigan. I know it’s not the sweater I vowed to do in the resolutions post but I was cleaning out my closet and found a box full of worsted weight yarn. I forgot I even had this yarn but remember buying it from a Herrschners truck sale. It’s called Sundance Yarns Stonewash.  The yarn has a woven or chained I think it is called middle with acrylic yarn blended into the middle.

20180616_151232

I know I got a heck of a deal on it and it was sold per bag. I bought 2 bags or 20 skeins total of two different colors. One color was a very pretty teal and the other is a gray. The teal was definitely calling my name so I did a search of Ravelry using my yarn to find a pattern that would work for it. I ended up picking the Drops pattern 146-1 Nathalie   The original pattern called for a cotton linen blend and my yarn was a cotton acrylic blend so I knew mine wouldn’t have the drape that the original had but I was ok with that. I have been knitting on this cardigan since May 17th and I almost have it finished. I knit the XXL size for a 53.5-inch bust. Right now I am sewing in the sleeves and it will finally be done. The sewing up part is always the least fun so it takes me forever to get around to actually doing it. I am using my Knitters Pride DREAMZ needles. They are my absolute favorite knitting needles. I use circulars with every pattern I knit and I love how these needles have the size stamped on the size and that they are all different colors. I am asking for another set of these needles for my Christmas present this year.

I will post pictures when I do finally have it completely finished. Have some working pictures of it to share. The color of the yarn is so pretty. Little’s favorite thing to do was use the cardigan as a blanket and take a nap on my lap.

20180610_1741441

 

 

 

 

Sewed a shirt for myself, finally!

I finally sewed up my Cashmerette Concord t-shirt. I used a cheap knit fabric that I bought for a couple of bucks from Wal-mart. I think I did a 22 bust graded out to a 28 waist but it been so long since I cut it out that I can’t remember and of course I didn’t write it down. I also remember making a biceps adjustment on it but it still wasn’t big enough because after I finished there was a definite pull on the fabric there. I am pretty happy with the rest of the fit so now I just need to make adjustments to my arm pattern pieces and try again. I was thinking of just cutting the arms off this practice one and sewing new ones on but haven’t decided yet. I can’t really wear it as is and I have extra fabric left over.

I need to buy a notebook to start keeping track of the sizes I cut out for different patterns. I keep saying I am going to do it but I always forget.

Here is a picture of me just finishing up. It’s a bathroom picture because it’s the only big mirror really in the house. I am also wearing my pajamas. The official outfit for sewing. The line down the front is also a washable marker. I use it to mark all my patterns.

20180407_170454.jpg

Big and Little and Pikachu.

I finished the boy’s shirts a few weeks ago it has just taken me forever to get a post up about them. Between days off and sickness sewing and blogging has been on the back burner. Of course, after sewing them all up both boys went through a growth spurt. The shirts still fit but they won’t for much longer. The bad part is I have another shirt for both of them already cut out in the old size. Live and learn I guess. It won’t stop me from pre-cutting large amounts of patterns before sewing but hopefully next time I do that I can actually get the time to sew them all up before a new growth spurt happens.

20180127_124444.jpg

I used the Pattern for Pirates Jolly Roger Raglan for both shirts.  Big wanted long sleeves with thumb cuffs and banded hem. It also has a lined hood and inseam pockets. 20180127_140440(0).jpg

For Little, I did short sleeves with a banded hem. He also had a lined hood and a kangaroo pocket.

The Jolly Roger Raglan is a great beginner project for sewing with knit fabric. It was the very first pattern I used and the first shirt actually looked like a shirt! She gives you great step by step directions in all her patterns. If you are on the fence about sewing with knit you should definitely give it a try.