Since I made Big a Lumberjack shirt from Pattern for Pirates I, of course, had to make one for Little too. I thought because I had already made the shirt once before that making it a second time would be a breeze. I was so wrong.
First, by the time I got around to sewing the shirt, I no longer had all the pieces. This was especially frustrating because I had taken extra time to fussy cut all the pieces so everything would match and be lined up. It took me forever to measure, cut and line everything up taking into account the seam allowance that I was so happy to be done cutting this shirt. When I dug it out of the pile to finally sew it I was missing the cuffs, the collar and the back piece. I am sure one day I will find them in the giant mess of fabric I have but I dug around forever and they were just gone, totally disappeared. Luckily I had leftover fabric so I set to cutting out the pieces I was missing. I reused to fussy cut anything and just slapped the pattern on and started cutting. I was so mad that I had misplaced pieces that I wasn’t paying attention to what I was doing and I cut the back piece out upside down. This was a big problem because it was a directional print fabric. I had just enough fabric to cut out another back piece and all my missing pieces. I was finally set to start sewing and I told myself from now on I am going to put all cut pattern pieces in Ziploc bags so I didn’t have to go through this again. Right now I just throw them on top of the fabric pile and call it a day, that obviously isn’t working.
I am finally sewing along, things are going great and I get to the sleeves. Well for some reason I didn’t mark the correct placket length on the pattern piece and I ended up cutting the placket way, way too long. I believe it was only supposed to be a couple of inches and I ended up doing five or something like that. So I had to cut out a whole new sleeve. I was barely able to squeeze a sleeve out of my leftover fabric but I just my upside down back piece and thanked my lucky stars I overbought fabric for this project.
Once again I am sewing along on these sleeves that I am really starting to hate and I sew the binding onto the placket I take these very long-nosed, pointy scissors and go to cut my threads and cut a huge hole in my sleeve! I couldn’t believe I had been so careless and cut a hole in my project. Now, I didn’t have enough fabric for another sleeve so I took two long pieces of scrap and sewed them together to make a piece of fabric big enough to cut out a whole new sleeve. I kept telling myself that this is just my muslin so it’s totally ok for it to not be perfect, I am basically just seeing how it fits. This mantra was going through my head none stop because I wanted to take this project and just throw it in the trash.
Third time is supposedly the charm and I was now sewing the sleeve for the third time. I sewed the binding on my placket and I somehow sewed it in totally incorrectly leaving a giant crease in the button placket that refused to lay right now matter what. Now I could have just torn it out with my seam ripper but I was at the end of my patience so I just took some scissors and made the shirt into a short sleeve shirt and we all lived happily ever after.
Haha, of course, that didn’t happen. I ripped another hole in the fabric cutting my buttonholes out and when I was all finished Little refused to wear it because he no longer liked Dinosaurs… The story of my life. He did finally try it on but refused to get a picture in it. It’s too short and too big. At least this is just the muslin…