Sewed a shirt for myself, finally!

I finally sewed up my Cashmerette Concord t-shirt. I used a cheap knit fabric that I bought for a couple of bucks from Wal-mart. I think I did a 22 bust graded out to a 28 waist but it been so long since I cut it out that I can’t remember and of course I didn’t write it down. I also remember making a biceps adjustment on it but it still wasn’t big enough because after I finished there was a definite pull on the fabric there. I am pretty happy with the rest of the fit so now I just need to make adjustments to my arm pattern pieces and try again. I was thinking of just cutting the arms off this practice one and sewing new ones on but haven’t decided yet. I can’t really wear it as is and I have extra fabric left over.

I need to buy a notebook to start keeping track of the sizes I cut out for different patterns. I keep saying I am going to do it but I always forget.

Here is a picture of me just finishing up. It’s a bathroom picture because it’s the only big mirror really in the house. I am also wearing my pajamas. The official outfit for sewing. The line down the front is also a washable marker. I use it to mark all my patterns.

20180407_170454.jpg

Big and Little and Pikachu.

I finished the boy’s shirts a few weeks ago it has just taken me forever to get a post up about them. Between days off and sickness sewing and blogging has been on the back burner. Of course, after sewing them all up both boys went through a growth spurt. The shirts still fit but they won’t for much longer. The bad part is I have another shirt for both of them already cut out in the old size. Live and learn I guess. It won’t stop me from pre-cutting large amounts of patterns before sewing but hopefully next time I do that I can actually get the time to sew them all up before a new growth spurt happens.

20180127_124444.jpg

I used the Pattern for Pirates Jolly Roger Raglan for both shirts.  Big wanted long sleeves with thumb cuffs and banded hem. It also has a lined hood and inseam pockets. 20180127_140440(0).jpg

For Little, I did short sleeves with a banded hem. He also had a lined hood and a kangaroo pocket.

The Jolly Roger Raglan is a great beginner project for sewing with knit fabric. It was the very first pattern I used and the first shirt actually looked like a shirt! She gives you great step by step directions in all her patterns. If you are on the fence about sewing with knit you should definitely give it a try.

Second worse part of sewing.

Ripping things out! I was busy sewing along trying to finish my eldest sons Pikachu shirt because he is supposed to play in a Pokemon tournament this weekend. In my hurry to finish it in time I sewed the bottom band on backward. The big seam was right in the middle of the front of the shirt. So seam ripper to the rescue and now I am back on track and will hopefully get this shirt finished in time. 20180125_155617.jpg20180125_160430.jpg

The pattern I am using is Jolly Roger Raglan with the add-on pack. You can’t really tell but it has inseam pockets, thumbhole cuffs, and a lined hood when I am all done. I can’t remember where I purchased the fabric but I did get it on a great sale because the red on the cheeks and mouth didn’t line up correctly and it’s slightly fuzzy. It was considered flawed fabric so I bought it really cheap. The solid colors were bought at Purpleseamstress Fabric it’s where I buy almost all of my solid colored knits.