Big’s Batman shirt.

I am not sure if anyone remembers but back in Januray, I cut out a bunch of different projects so that whenever I had a minute I could spend it sewing instead of cutting and drafting patterns. It worked out fairly well, there are some things I plan to change about my method of storage that I will talk about in another blog. Anyways, I cut out two Lumberjack Shirts from Patterns for Pirates one for Big and one for Little.  I bought some cheap cotton fabric from Walmart that I was basically using as a muslin that I could hopefully use at the end. Big picked Batman fabric for his shirt. The shirt itself was a fairly easy sew except for the placket on the cuff. I couldn’t get it to look or lay right no matter what I did. Next time I do this pattern I am going to see if I can find a helpful video. Sometimes for me, it’s easier to understand something after you watch someone else do it. I made the collar and the inside of the cuffs with a yellow and I thought it turned out really cute. Big really liked the shirt at first.

It was a really fun sew and I learned a lot about shirt construction sewing it up. Big was super excited to wear his new shirt to school but unfortunately, the other kids at school picked on him because it was Batman, they told him that Batman is for babies. He now refuses to wear it at all. I feel bad that that happened to him and a shirt he really loved he now won’t wear at all. The shirt ended up fitting him pretty well and I think he looks adorable in it. Kids will be kids though.

20180421_195607

Big and Little and Pikachu.

I finished the boy’s shirts a few weeks ago it has just taken me forever to get a post up about them. Between days off and sickness sewing and blogging has been on the back burner. Of course, after sewing them all up both boys went through a growth spurt. The shirts still fit but they won’t for much longer. The bad part is I have another shirt for both of them already cut out in the old size. Live and learn I guess. It won’t stop me from pre-cutting large amounts of patterns before sewing but hopefully next time I do that I can actually get the time to sew them all up before a new growth spurt happens.

20180127_124444.jpg

I used the Pattern for Pirates Jolly Roger Raglan for both shirts.  Big wanted long sleeves with thumb cuffs and banded hem. It also has a lined hood and inseam pockets. 20180127_140440(0).jpg

For Little, I did short sleeves with a banded hem. He also had a lined hood and a kangaroo pocket.

The Jolly Roger Raglan is a great beginner project for sewing with knit fabric. It was the very first pattern I used and the first shirt actually looked like a shirt! She gives you great step by step directions in all her patterns. If you are on the fence about sewing with knit you should definitely give it a try.

The worse part of sewing…

I’ve been cutting out patterns and projects for the past week and a half. The longest week and a half ever! I ended up cutting a total of 6 projects and I was hoping to get 2 cut out a day but of course, that didn’t happen. Between snow days and sick kids, it was hard getting everything done. It’s also a pain because I have to use my dining room table to cut and I also use that to serve dinner so every dinner time I have to pick up and move everything off the table so it can be used for dinner. Really wish I had a dedicated place for cutting out patterns and fabric that would make life so much easier!

I am trying a few new to me patterns like the Lumberjack shirt from Pattern for Pirates and the Concord t-shirt from Cashmerette. I’ve been looking for a nice and easy button-up shirt pattern so I am hoping that the Lumberjack shirt is just that. I have also been trying to make more things for myself but I always find it’s a  harder task with my plus size pear shaped body. Cashmerette are all patterns for curvy girls. I’ve made her Appleton Wrap Dress before and I loved how it turned out. It’s not finished yet, mainly because I ran into a fabric problem but hopefully I will get that squared away this year. I really want to wear it.20180120_165149.jpg

The dino fabric was made into one of the Lumberjack shirts. I also did my first attempt at pattern matching with this so fingers crossed I did it right.

20180123_191825.jpg

Even though I feel like cutting out fabric is the worse part and I hate doing it, I love doing it in bulk like this. With young kids and little time, it’s nice to be able to just pick up a project and go whenever I have a spare minute or two.

Can’t wait to get sewing!