So I know back in my New Year’s Resolutions post I talked about knitting a sweater. I was talking to a friend and she told me that I had actually already knit a sweater. I personally didn’t classify the garment I knit as a sweater because it was full of holes and you had to wear it with something under it. To me, it was a like a vest or a poncho. It just wasn’t sweater material to me. The garment in question is a DROPS design pattern called Wonderful Iris.
To me, that is definitely not a sweater. The more I look at it the more I see poncho. What do you guys think? I found a pattern that I love but could also be categorized into the “not a real sweater” category. When I think sweater I usually think wool but this is made with linen. I was actually thinking of going for a linen and cotton blend since I heard that linen can be a little hard on your hands to knit with. The “sweater” in question is Black is Back I think it might be more shirt than a sweater but I really love it. I would be knitting it in a purple color because I love purple I was thinking of using Willow Yarns Feather in Purple Martin. I really like that the pattern gives you hip measurements since I am mostly pear-shaped and had no clue how to go about making something bigger to accommodate my stomach and hips. I feel like it would give me a good jumping off point in learning how to knit something that will actually fit me. I think after I tackle this I might try the Flax Light that’s another pattern that has been on my “to knit” list for forever.
I am not usually big into New Year’s resolutions especially ones that are of the life-changing variety: lose weight, stop smoking, no sugar. These are usually short-lived and to me just pointless to make. My resolutions are usually of the crafting or family life variety: make more things, going on a family trip, paint the house. So not really a resolution per se but a goal for myself for the year. I always try to make the next year better than the last, which I am sure most people do. Anyways, my 2018 crafting goals are:
- Sew my first bra. I’ve been meaning to do this forever. I bought a kit and a craftsy class and the only thing really holding me back is fear of messing up terribly. I just need to keep reminding myself that it’s only fabric and I can always buy a new kit.
- Knit me a sweater. I’ve also been putting this off for a while being of the plus size variety that thought of putting all the time into knitting a sweater and not having it fit at the end is really putting me off. I did make myself a cardigan last year and loved it but it did turn out bigger than I thought it would. Gauge measurement is always a must…need to remember that too.
- Sew some leggings. I’ve been sewing with knits for a while. Mostly for the boys if we are going, to be honest. I love sewing with knits but hardly make anything for myself. I have really been wanting leggings. I have the Pattern for Pirates legging pattern which is free on their website (along with other goodies).
- Get more comfortable with other fabrics. I knit with cotton wovens and knits and that’s about it. I would love to make something silky or flowy and I bought some double gauze fabric I have no clue what to do with but would love to use up.
- Paint something. I use to paint all the time but painting has really taken a back burner lately. I have all these canvases that stare at me every time I go in my closet. I would love to have a minute to just be able to paint something.
That’s really all I can think of. Basically, I want to test out some new skills and try things I’ve been too nervous or scared to try. I really need to get over the fear of “ruining” fabric by sewing something up with it and having it not be perfect. Do you have any crafting goals for the new year? Post them down below.